Banana Hot Cross Buns
1. Overripe bananas – 2
2. Butter, softened – 50 g
3. Egg – 1
4. Flour – 525 g (3 ½ cups) + 50 g
5. Sugar – 50 g (1/3 cup) + 2 tablespoons
6. Dry yeast – 7 g (1 package)
7. Cinnamon – 2 teaspoons
8. A pinch of salt
9. Banana chips, crushed – about 100 g
10. Dried fruit and berries (you can use goji, blueberries, black currant, raisins, cherries, sour cherries, etc.) – about 2 cups
- Dissolve dry yeast in 60 ml of warm water and wait 5 minutes until it starts bubbling. Add 50 g of sugar and mix. Add mashed bananas and a lightly-whisked egg.
- Mix sifted flour with cinnamon and salt and combine with butter, using your hands or a dough mixer. Add banana chips and dried fruit and berries.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix well. Transfer the dough onto a floured surface and knead with your hands for about 10 minutes. You can also use a dough mixer.
- Spray or grease a large bowl with oil and transfer the dough into it. Cover the bowl with a plastic wrap and a kitchen towel. Set aside in a warm place for about an hour. The dough should double in size.
- Transfer the dough onto a floured surface and knead again briefly, using your hands. Divide the dough into 12 equal parts using the following method: Halve the dough, divide each half into 3 parts; you will have 6 rolls, which will have to be halved again. Use a scale, if possible. Shape your dough into perfect rolls.
- Spray or grease a deep baking tray with oil and transfer the rolls. Cover with a kitchen towel and set aside for another 30 minutes.
- Mix the remaining 50 g of flour with a tablespoon of sugar and 60 ml of cold water until it turns into a smooth paste. Place the paste into a plastic bag or a squeeze bottle. Pipe lines on your buns to create crosses.
- Bake your buns in a preheated oven at 160C, for about 25 minutes. If the buns begin to brown too quickly, you can cover them with aluminum foil. Test the buns for doneness with a toothpick. If the toothpick comes out dry, the buns are done. If not, continue to bake them for another 5-10 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the glaze. Dissolve 1 tablespoon of sugar in 1 tablespoon of boiling water.
- When done, let the buns cool for 5 minutes in the baking tray, then transfer them onto a cooling rack and brush with glaze.
Serve them warm with some butter.
Help us improve! We will be pleased to answer any question or comment you may have. We are here for you!Send